Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Falling Down the Rabbit Hole

So back in February my Daughter in-law, found me this cool little antique spinning wheel. So now I've been closely watching places like eBay and Craigslist for spinning wheel parts that might work in the restoration of my great little wheel.  So I'm still trying to find the parts I need, but instead in June I found this wheel:
It's a wonderful working antique probably originally from Quebec. It seems to be more unusual than I thought, as the wheel is bigger than an average Saxony style wheel, but does not have enough of the right characteristics to be a "Canadian Production wheel" She is quite a bit larger than the little black wheel.


She is intact, and spins like a dream!  One of things I think is really cool is the way the hooks are half worn through with use:


I love this new wheel too.  But I continued to search for parts for the old black wheel, and I tripped over this cool little Spanish Wheel:
 This wheel is quite unusual, as there is very little lathe work. The only really round pieces on the wheel are the bobbin and the large wheel.  The rest is cut wood. And I've never seen a flyer constructed this way:
 It looks as if it's been steamed and bent into a curve, rather than cut in the U shape as most flyers are.  If you look closely at the grain you can see how it bends around the U!  I love this wheel for it's rusticness, and unusual qualities.  I also love that it may be tied to early California history, which is my history, going back to some early Spanish settlers!
       I really do not have space in my home for any more spinning wheels.  I hope I can find the parts I need before the wheels take over my home, and push me into the street!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! I hope you find the parts you need!

    http://www.etsy.com/shop/SerinsBlackDesigns

    ReplyDelete